What is a CMS? What is a CMS driven website?
A Content Management System (CMS) is a set of web-based application that runs on a web server. Typically a database driven application, a CMS makes it easy to publish and manage web content.
It’s a very important term you need to know when you are looking for a web design agency. The content management system is critical to your web based strategy – to your website and to your success of your online solutions, but many people/organisations are still having no idea about the technical advantages of a CMS.
So here is how it comes:
You are a business owner and you have a website. You’d like to update it very often, say 10 articles a day, at first it’s easy as there are just some few pages around your site, but it grows over time. You finally find there is a huge amount of content becoming out-of-date, some contents need to be edited, some others need to be removed. But it became such a big job, it’s so hard to find links, difficult to locate files and web pages, while you change the address of a single web page, you have to look over every page that links to it and correct it. You ask your skillful web administrators to do all the job, but eventually it turns to be something they couldn’t afford to waste time. As a result, you give up, you don’t update your website anymore, but what if your customers see something submitted in July 1999 like last century on your company home page?
The Content management system aims to help website owner to create, manage, distribute, publish, and discover web contents. For editing or control the web content, such as texts, images, without knowing any computer codes, you need this web application called CMS to help you finish all the jobs.
Benefits of Using a Content Management System
- Make authoring and updating streamlined
- Ease to create new webpages and contents by people with few IT background
- Automatic navigation creation
- Keep the consistency of your website
- Increase the flexibility of your website
- Distributable authoring is available
- Secured web interface and account management
- Almost unlimited capacity for growth
- Time and money saving for website maintenance
A CMS should have the following Functionalities:
- Create web contents (create contents without knowing computer codes)
- Web content management (edit, delete and categorise contents, manage multimedia files)
- Authoring and Publishing (web releases of content)
- Presentation (create web pages that support multiple browsers automatically)
CMS we are using to build websites:
- Drupal and Joomla!, winners of Open Source CMS Award(2006, 2007 and 2008). They are powerful and reliable open source CMSs.
- WordPress, it’s a state-of-the-art publishing platform with a focus on aesthetics, web standards, and usability.
We will carefully decide which one to use according to your needs and requirements.
If you still have question about what kind of website you should have, please contact us, we’ll try our best to help you finding the best way to build a website that suits your business needs.